The Taxonomy function allows you to store complex hierarchical classifications within the metadata. Implementing taxonomy enhances the user experience, reducing the manual effort of data entry and auto completion of related metadata where appropriate. Additionally, taxonomy supports centralised management and quality of the metadata entered, ensuring full control of the metadata, leading to better rules management, search and discover abilities, and more intelligent workflow configurations.
Defining and using a taxonomy can offer additional benefits in that users of the system will be categorizing content and assets using a controlled vocabulary.
Creating a New Taxonomy
- In the Taxonomy window, click the + icon.
- In the Create New Taxonomy pop up window, fill in the mandatory fields, which are Name and Visibility, and are displayed in red. You can add a Description if you wish.
- Check Display in Apps if you want this taxonomy to be displayed in FlexMAM in the left panel. Taxonomies can be used within FlexMAM to search and filter your asset list.
- Click Create.
- Click Add a taxon and enter a taxon name of your choice.
- Click the Save button.
- You can continue to add as many taxons as required.
To add a category to a taxon:
- Once you have created a taxonomy, you can click on the taxon name and click Add a category.
- Add the name, as before.
- Taxons that contain sub-categories are displayed with an arrow:
- You can add as many taxons as you want within a category. When one or more taxons have been added at any level, a search field is displayed for that level.
Editing a Taxonomy
- Click the ellipsis beside that collection and select Edit.
- You can also click on any other part of the taxonomy entry to display a panel with the metadata associated with that collection. This panel also includes an Edit button at the bottom.
- The edit window is displayed. To add a new taxon to the collection, Click the Add a Taxon field, and type the name.
- Hover over the taxon name to edit or delete it.
The name is not saved until you click the Save icon and the following message is displayed.
To disable or delete a taxonomy:
- Click on the ellipsis beside the taxonomy name.
- Select either Disable or Delete from the drop down menu.
Configuring the Taxonomy as a Backing Store
Once the taxonomy is created and enabled, you must associate your taxonomy with a specific field in a metadata schema in order for it to be used.
- In the Metadata Designer, open the metadata schema.
- Add a Drill-Down option field in the definition (see Adding and Removing Fields for more information).
- In the configuration panel on the right-hand side, the Backing Store checkbox is selected by default, as taxonomy is the only backing store available for the Drill Down option field.
- Expand the Backing Store field. For the Type drop down menu, Taxonomy is selected by default. Select the taxonomy that you have configured (the taxonomy must be enabled to be listed).
- Click the Save icon and the taxonomy will now be associated with that field.